Join our Team
Laboratory Bench-side Mentor
The laboratory bench-side mentor will provide mentorship to build the capacity of laboratories in Liberia. The ultimate goal of the mentorship program is to bring labs in line with international standards through a stepwise process. In order to accomplish this, the mentor will conduct supportive supervision to the laboratory, assist in the creation of a quality assurance program and provide advice on improving laboratory diagnostics.
The position requires a highly skilled candidate or team with expertise in clinical or medical laboratory testing and experience working in resource-limited settings to impact the development of laboratories through direct day-to-day on-site support.
The mentor will report ultimately to the Director of NDU within MOHSW. The mentor must be prepared to spend an agreed upon time period in Liberia which will be outlined in a proposal created by the mentor with the input of the National Diagnostic Unit.
- Establish and implement standard operating procedures and develop quality management systems in accordance with national and international guidelines with the aim of achieving accreditation based on regional or international accreditation standards such as EPHS and WHO AFRO.
- Assess and identify gaps in operations and quality management based on WHO AFRO standards.
- Provide daily on-site bench-side support to improve quality management, including lab documentation, Standard Operating Procedures, training records, data management, quality assurance manuals, human resources, stock management, management of laboratory facilities, supply chain, bio-safety, communications, etc
- Support the implementation of quality control and quality assurance procedures for laboratory tests, management of materials, data reduction and data reporting.
- Create periodic training sessions to enable supervisors to effectively conduct supportive supervision visits to laboratories
- Help to build a team of regional mentors in-country
- Conduct lab performance assessment based on standardized checklists and track performance improvements over time.
- Help introduce new diagnostics as needed.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Board Certification in medical laboratory technology or clinical pathology. Certification should be through an internationally recognized body.
- At least 10 years experience working in clinical laboratory setting
- Strong technical knowledge of clinical and / or medical tests including immunology, bacteriology, parasitology, hematology, clinical chemistry and molecular techniques used in the clinical diagnostic setting.
- Quality management experience and training
- Management experience, at least at the bench section level, in a well-run lab with a strong quality system in place
- Familiarity with lab accreditation WHO AFRO, ISO 15189 or equivalent
- Willingness to travel close to mentored laboratories in low-resource settings with frequent local travel
- Mentoring experience, including on-the-bench training
- Experience in a leadership position in a laboratory
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Access.
- Highly self motivated
- Persistence, patience and a positive attitude
- Commitment to a team approach in the laboratory
- Ability to work with others and provide instruction and correction in a spirit of togetherness and affirmation
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders at all levels of seniority
To Apply for this position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.